Navy 60th Anniversary Celebrations – Media Briefing
A media briefing on Sri Lanka Navy’s 60th Anniversary Celebrations was held at SLNS Rangalla today (25th November 2010). It was presided over by Commander of the Sri Lanka Navy Vice Admiral Thisara Samarasinghe. Chief of Staff of the Navy Rear Admiral DWAS Dissanayake, Deputy Chief of Staff, Directors General of the Navy and Commander Western Naval Area too participated in it.
Addressing the media personnel who were present, the Commander of the Navy stated that the historic and memorable occasion will be celebrated in an impressive and befitting manner giving due recognition to Sri Lanka as a strategic maritime nation in the Indian Ocean. He further stated that a wide variety of activities are scheduled to be held in accordance with naval customs and traditions practiced world over as the anniversary celebrations which revolve round 09th December 2010, the Navy Day.
Sri Lanka Navy celebrates its 60th Anniversary on 09th of December 2010, a milestone event coinciding with the dawn of peace after the eradication of three-decade long terrorism off the Sri Lankan soils.
The events lined up for the celebrations are as follows:
• Naval and Maritime Symposium on “ Sustainable Support for Security and Safety at Sea” at Naval Headquarters on 08th December
• International Sailing Regatta in the seas off Galle Face Green on 08th December at 1600 hrs with the participation of the sailing community worldwide including teams from the Navies participating in the celebrations
• International Band Fiesta and Cultural Show at the Sugathadasa Indoor Stadium on 08th December with the participation of the Navies participating in the celebrations, Army, Navy and Air Force bands
• Awarding of Presidential Colours to Eastern and Northern Naval Commands and Sri Lanka Navy Fleet at the Colombo Light House premises on 09th December
• Presidential Fleet Review in the seas off Galle Face Green on 09th December with the participation of war ships from friendly navies
• Launching of the book on naval history on 09th December
• Chiefs of Navies’ Conclave at Naval Dockyard, Trincomalee on 10th December
• International Sail Past in the seas off Galle Face Green on 11th December -All visiting foreign and Sri Lankan Naval Vessels will participate in the Sail Past on their home bound passage and the salute will be received by the Secretary, Ministry of Defence.
• Naval Exhibition at the Colombo Light House premises from 04th to 12th December (except on 07th & 08th ) - open to all foreign and local guests and to the public and will include demonstrations by Sri Lanka Navy Special Forces